About Me

My photo
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for Breakfast" - one man's journey through life with IT and all things related to it whether it's purely technical or just for fun...

Note - Any posts on this blog are purely my own personal opinion and do not reflect any opinions of companies and/or people that I mention. All advice is given to help you but I cannot be held responsible for your actions should you decide you want to try these things out yourself!

Wednesday 1 February 2012

Documentation - Can it be easier?

Just a quick post to say that someone has showed me one of the best features I have ever seen in Windows and hopefully it will make life documenting installs and configuration so much easier than using Print Screen and Wordpad...



I am not sure whether it is in Vista but in Windows 7 you can run Problem Steps Recorder or PSR from the Run Command.  This will bring up a little window as shown:


Click "Start Record" and then you can record every click in every window or get it to record an install of a product.  You can add comments at each step if you want to using the "Add Comment" button.  For example I am going to record this blog post!  When you hit stop recording it will want to save the mht file which it has compiled in a zip format to keep it nice and small. 


If you double click the file you will be presented with a Record Problem Steps.  I believe this was built in to help software companies and Microsoft establish user issues when they have problems but why not use it for documentation!  You can then view the screen grabs it has made for you and do what you will with them. 


If you click on any of the images you can zoom in and get the full picture so that it can be copy and pasted into your documentation template.  Genius!

No comments:

Post a Comment